Monday, April 30, 2012

Dear Non-Voters

Dear Non-Voters:

Yeah you -- you little worms. You who tell me that you don't vote because you don't like politics and think all politicians are crooks. Well, I confess, you are the hardest to love of all! I am meditating, praying, reading books on loving my enemies...  I am working on it. V e  r  y ... slowly. I blame you because I am pretty great at loving.

Hope I didn't hurt your feelings! Why does the term "worm" keep coming into my head?

While many of us are out making phone calls, knocking on doors, making posters, standing out in the freezing cold, writing letters... YOU don't vote?

Yes, don't like politics. You don't like politicians. You think they are all corrupt. So, you do the only reasonable thing? You don't vote!

Do you know a politician? Personally? Have you ever been to a community, political, city council, county board, political party, or other such meeting?

In a world of possibilities--visiting the governor's office, writing your lawmakers, visiting them, writing letters to the editor, attending protests...?  No, you do none of these things. Instead you boycott voting.

Let's see. Some of you have told me that you are disillusioned and don't vote because you don't have a job, don't have health care, cannot afford your house, hate your lives... I see a trend here!

Darlings, your answer is to pout at home? Elections have been won and lost by, quite literally, one vote. Elections are commonly won and lost by a few percentage points.

So, I hope that no one else tells me that they don't vote. Because I might feel compelled to tell you how much I love you.

Your friend,

Vivian

3 comments:

  1. Get vital voter info at:
    https://myvote.wi.gov/en-us/

    ReplyDelete
  2. Keep in touch, Rock County.

    https://www.facebook.com/democracyrocksrockcounty/

    ReplyDelete
  3. More info and discussion:

    https://www.facebook.com/groups/democracyrocksjanesville/

    ReplyDelete