Saturday, September 29, 2012

Dear People Who Still Live on the Grid:

Dear People Who Have Phones, Who Are Registered to Vote, Who Sign Petitions, and Live in Public on Real Streets:

I am politically active. I used to canvass--knock on doors and ask people to vote, register to vote, vote for Democratic candidates, etc. Now, I make phone calls -- hundreds of phone calls. Many people thank me. But, not everyone.

And, guess what some people ask?  "How did you find me?" Well... you opened your door! I saw your house, I knocked, and you opened. Bingo! There you were! Further more, you pay taxes. And, you vote. And, you have a telephone. Anyone could walk down your street and "find you!" Bingo!

And... guess what else? This is a consequence of living in... wait for it... Democracy! Yes! Democracy is inconvenient. Loud. Messy. Requires research. People lie. Disagree with us. Don't like our views. And... Knock on our doors. And, call us on the phone... And call... and call... and call some more.

While we are playing guessing games, guess where you cannot knock on peoples' doors and make telephone calls about political topics? Yes! Dictatorships! Autocracies! Iran! Syria! Saudi Arabia! Non-democratic countries!

Yes, there are countries where you don't get 2 or 3 or 6 opinions -- you might not really even get one opinion! Well, we don't get actual well thought out and informed opinions based on logic, reason and fact here, either but, it is an ideal I cherish.

Thoughts I'm thinking as I go about talking to people:  Besides those who cannot figure out how we found them, a few people I talk to tell me that they just don't vote -- on principle -- so they say. I think they are self-indulgent whiners, but that's JMNHO. I try everything in my arsenal of argument.

And, occasionally someone gives me hell for calling them about politics. Well... guess what? I am NOT discouraged by that! I am just going to give the next person a pep talk on how lucky we are to be living in a Democracy where we are able to make and receive political phone calls.

Most Republicans and Democrats I have been speaking with have been astoundingly gracious and thoughtful.

 There are people all over the world who would give an arm & a leg right now to be able to make and receive political phone calls without endangering their lives!

So, this coming week, I will be dedicating my calls to those all over the world who would love to have the freedom to pick up the phone, use their real voices & names, and ask people to vote in open elections for their candidates.

So, whiners, for goodness sake, pull yourselves together! It is just a phone call or 2 or 20! It isn't cancer or hemorrhoids or adult acne or terminal stupidity. Get a grip! The neighbors can hear you. How are you going to face the real tragedies in life if you cannot get through a few phone calls!

Honestly, where are your parents?

I love you and I think you need some re-parenting. You really, really do!

Your friend,

Vivian

No comments:

Post a Comment