Thursday, August 2, 2012

Dear Positive Thinkers

Dear Positive Thinkers:

Before pledging my undying love and devotion, I have some serious questions.

Are we supposed to pretend that nothing is wrong? Or believe that nothing is wrong? Just put on a happy face no matter what?

Was  Anne Frank supposed to be look on the bright side? Are the destitute, the homeless, the jobless, the hungry supposed to count their blessings? The mentally ill? The who are physically ill and suffering? Prisoners of war? Victims of war--women and children? Are those involved in the civil war in Syria supposed to look on the bright side?

What about, "Those who are not tall thin beautiful intelligent attractive well-educated self-actualizing  accomplished people who live in lovely homes and take exciting vacations and eat in great restaurants?" Are they allowed to long for more of what they don't have or do they just have to count their blessings?

What about just plain old ordinary people who really have given every challenge they have face their very best effort with every personal resource they had at the time they faced it? And, failed. And, are just personally and privately unhappy.

They damn better keep that a secret.

Lordy, Lordy. We hate unhappiness and negativity in this country. Uh uh. Better not be in pain. Better not be suffering. Better not be poor. Or hungry. Or a failure. Or filled with longing. Or disappointed. God knows, you better not be unhappy. We just hate that!

Positive people, I am pretty sure I can love you unconditionally by midnight tonight. But, you are, frankly, harder to love than far right wing ultra conservative Christian fundamentalist Republicans. To me. Because, my mind is a dark, dark place.

And, my goals in life are to see life as it really is; to see myself as I really am; and, to see others as they really are. Those are scary goals. I do want to see the positive. But, not at the sacrifice of reality.

Dear, dear, positive thinkers! Smiley face people! Cheerful folks. People who have cute shit all over their houses and homes and cars and Facebook walls! I forgive you! I really, really do. And, by midnight tonight, I will be loving you unconditionally. Because, that is just how I roll.

If I can love an optimist, I can love anyone! In one hour and 15 minutes, I will love you unconditionally!

Oh, dear! This couldn't possible hurt anyone's feelings--could it?

Your friend,

Vivian


No comments:

Post a Comment