Sunday, August 19, 2012

Dear Paul


Dear Paul Ryan:

Who in the name of Ayn Rand are you? If I could pin that down, I would love you! Okay, okay "you- who-ever-the-hell-you-are" surely appear in need of some love and parenting.

I am applying for the job of your mother! Yes, I know your mother is living, but I want a turn and in my fantasy world, I just got it!

No, you don't need a spanking--no one does! No, you don't need a time-out, either.

First, I would like to send you to the Peace Corp for 6 months to dig wells somewhere in a foreign country. No, sweetheart, you cannot teach English in Paris. There is just too much you did not learn as a young man and I am your mother, now.

The next 3 months, you are going to build houses for Habitat for Humanity in Appalachia! No, you cannot be a congressional aide in Frankfort, KY. That isn't in Appalachia. I grew up in Appalachia. There is just nothing like watching children go hungry to build character!

Then... Oh, this is so much fun! Oh....! Teach for America! In... Watts! No, you have to live there, too. You cannot live in Beverly Hills and commute! Yes, behind door number 3 is a school district right in the United States that does not have desks nor does it have books or supplies. It does have security, but they rarely answer! Sweetie, you have to live on your grant but the good news is that you will be able to complete a Master's Degree! I have always thought you needed more education.

The following year, you still have no allowance, you remain off the government dole, off family charity and you must earn a living for a year. On your own. No family or political influence. That means your wife cannot support you and you cannot use her trusts nor the trust funds of your children! Yikes!!! Your blood pressure just spiked. I felt it from 5 miles away!

At the end of this time, you may re-enter your bubble of relative wealth and privilege. Lovey, you do know that dear Mr. Romney views you as a pauper and you are just not in his social league, don't you? You can have your trust funds and inheritance back and you may spend your wife's money, also. If she allows you, too. I don't think she should, but that is her decision.

As your mother, I will always love you unconditionally. The really bummer part of this is that I expect you to be learning unconditional love every MF'ing day of your life. Parents love and adore their children and teach their children to love and adore others. We teach them social responsibility. You will be hearing more from me.

So, as your mother, I ask you such questions as:
"How do you think XYZ felt when you said/did that, Paul?"
"How do you think women feel when they are raped, Paul?"
"Do you really have the right to make medical decisions for others, Paul?"
"How did those poor villages in Iraq feel when they were digging their child out of that rubble, Paul?"
"Paul, do you really think victims of rape and incest want you to make their decisions for them?"
"Close your eyes and put yourself in the other person's shoes now, Paul."

Oh, talk to my daughter--she used to rail against my questions! But, I like to think she is a better person for them.

You appear desperately in need of unconditional love. That is just my distant observation. But, can you learn to dish it out?  First to yourself: Your hair does not have to be perfect; you do not have to exercise quite so... obsessively--just sufficiently; you do not have to diet so... obsessively--just be healthy; you do not have to dress up every time you step outside--why not just shop around town in your PJ's today!

Then, "Love they neighbor as thyself."  Great advice.

Meanwhile, I love you. I really, really do. Because what the world needs now is love, sweet love (Hal David) and that is so, so, so much more difficult than remaining in one's bubble and following one's prejudgments.

Your friend,

Vivian



http://www.nytimes.com/2012/08/19/opinion/sunday/dowd-beware-a-beautiful-calm.html?_r=1

No comments:

Post a Comment