Saturday, June 16, 2012

Dear Murderers by Neglect

Dear Murderers by Neglect:
Do you ever have thoughts that hover around your consciousness? You may even say the words but don’t allow yourself to really truly deeply think the thought.
Then, one day, you do—think the thought. And, you cannot breathe for a second. Your chest hurts.
You would rather rant and rave than quietly speak some terrible truth.
My terrible truth is that I believe that letting people die by neglect is the same as murdering them.
Neglecting to provide medical care, food, clothing, and shelter for those in need, who cannot provide it for themselves, leads to death.
Do our lawmakers, who do not want anyone to receive an ounce of charity, a single thing that they do not pay for, a single penny of their tax money, kill those who die from lack of medical care, malnutrition, and shelter?
My heart is beating out of my chest—I believe that there is no difference in killing people by neglect and shooting them in the head.
Do I believe that voters who live in terror that some poor soul will receive a root canal, a cancer screening, a day in the hospital at the taxpayers expense are guilty of the deaths of people who die in our own town, county, state, and nation from neglect? I do.
Here is a common scenario. Someone doesn't have insurance and gets ill. Then...they cannot get insurance. They apply for MA and or disability AND unless they meet very specific criteria, they don't get it. They don't get it even though they cannot work, their doctor tells them not to work, they are physically unable to work… Meanwhile, their illness is progressing. They have to apply 3 times--and, how odd, they have to hire an attorney. THEN, they get disability and MA. At which time, they are past the point of recovery.

To deprive people of “health care” or insurance, or food and shelter is to deprive them of life. Of life, liberty, and the pursuit of happiness one might say.

Not everyone will go this far, but, yes, I would provide health care and assistance to everyone including illegal aliens, their children, and heroin addicts passed out in the ditch by the road side.

And, yes, of course I also believe that every single one of us ought to strive in every way to be 200% responsible for ourselves, our family members, our dependent children, our parents, our adult children, our retirement, and even help friends and neighbors.

But, in an age when one overnight stay in a hospital plus tests can cost $30,000, a visit to your doctor can cost $200.00, and you cannot get insurance once you have diabetes, no one can afford health care. Individuals are not in charge of the economy and cannot create jobs. In some areas, property values are down by 50%--individuals did not cause that and cannot cure it. People can no longer survive by squirrel hunting and raising a garden.

So, if you vote to deny your neighbors, your friends, and your family members health care, then I think you are causing their deaths directly.

I judge myself by these same standards and find myself guilty—not of how I vote, but of failing to provide sufficient help.

So, I love you and want you to receive health care, food, shelter because I want you to live a long and healthy life. I have seen many people (including children) without health care or the very basics of life and… I cannot even think of appropriate words.

I hope I have hurt your feelings today.

Much love from your friend,

Vivian

PS  Yes, I know I am a dark, dark person with dark thoughts. You should know my faults!

1 comment:

  1. We are all only one job, one diagnosis away from financial, personal, health catastrophe.

    A high level spinal cord injury (breaking your neck in a motor vehicle accident) would bankrupt all but the 1%. To qualify for medical assistance, you have to liquidate most of your resources. Here are a few of the needs of a spinal cord injury:
    Days/weeks/maybe months in an ICU
    Weeks and maybe months in the hospital
    Treatment on a rehab unit
    A sophisticated wheel chair that may cost more than your last car
    24 hr/day ventilator in your home
    Back up electricity
    Coordination with local fire & rescue and power provider
    Hospital equipment in your home
    Ramps for access
    Doorways widened
    Special bathroom equipment
    24 hour nursing care
    Wheel chair equipped van
    and on and on and on.

    ReplyDelete