Friday, July 13, 2012

Dear Pols: About Women's Issues

Dear Pols in the World of Women’s Issues:

What to do? What to do?

The world of “Women’s Issues” is a tangled mess—including that very term. Holy Kitty Cats! I just hate being an issue—don’t you? I feel like so much more!

Well, of course I am going to straighten this all out!

“Women’s Issues” seem to all revolve around the facts that roughly 51% of the population has external genitalia, internal genitalia, DNA, and hormone levels defining them as female. Why is this an issue? I blame it all on St. Augustine.

Of course, there are a host of issues we won’t even get into here—such as when external and internal genitalia, DNA, hormonal levels, etc. are not all in alignment! We won’t even address sexual identity, either! Or attraction. But, I digress...

Listen up. You did know that women make up the majority of voters, right? Oh... you didn't know? That explains it!

It is time for voters to have platforms. Why do political candidates have platforms, anyway? Voters need to lean on candidates--and I mean lean hard. Women, let's start leaning.

Here is... MY PLATFORM AS A VOTER:

I want political leaders who support human and women’s rights!

Let’s start with something we all have in common. Being human! I support human rights. I support equal rights for everyone who comes under the category of “human” and that includes “women.” Yes, it is a radical notion. Still. After all these years. Decades. And... decades... and...  Long after women’s suffrage.... Still supporting women’s rights.

I want political leaders who support Planned Parenthood and easy affordable access to obstetrical and gynecological health care services for women.

Women need reproductive health care their entire lives--it isn’t just about sex and sex and more sex. And sluts. And more sex... And Rush Limbaugh. It’s about saving lives. Invest in prevention and save lives--and, money.

I want political leaders who support free and easily available contraception.

This must be one of the best investments any society could make.

I support candidates who support sex education--scientifically/medically based sex education.

I do not want government or religion dictating the teaching of religion/morality in public schools.

I support political representatives who will hold all health care professionals responsible to serve all patients according to the patients’ health care wants and needs and not the professional’s personal religious views.

There should be no “conscience clause.” There should be (and are) "professional ethics clauses." It is not religious discrimination to require professionals to uphold their ethical professional responsibilities to meet patients’ health care needs.

How could anyone enter a health care profession (or how could a Church go into the business of health care), but only offer services consistent with their own private religious beliefs? This is holding health care patients hostage to the religious beliefs of health care providers and is profoundly unethical.

I want candidates who support stem cell research.

I support science. I support research. I support saving lives through stem-cell research. There is no adequate substitute for embryonic stem cell research and I do not want to hear phony science from politicians, parties or candidates. I do not want our government taking religious positions on matters of public policy and health.  

I support candidates who support a woman’s right to choose. I support candidates who will vote to make abortion easily accessible and affordable and keep it safe and legal.

I do not want the government and religion involved in personal private medical decisions

I support a woman’s right to choose. I trust that women, their doctors, couples, and families can make the best decisions in their own best interests.

I do not want Roe v Wade chipped away inch by inch.

I ask political leaders not make the most personal and private decisions for others--and not to ask others to follow their religious beliefs..

My dear, dear candidates. Do not ask me, in any way whatsoever, to do anything that is demeaning to myself, my gender, my own self-interest, or my own intellectual/emotional/physical well-being.

And, do not ask me or anyone else to practice your religion.

Hmmmm... yep... that about sums it up! That is part of my platform. You surely didn’t think that was all, did you? We haven’t even touched on foreign policy!

Oh, candidates and politicians, I just love you so much! Now, listen to women! We are going to be leaning on you very hard. We are your mothers, after all! I don't mean depending on you, you silly men! Lean left!

Your friend,

Vivian

1 comment:

  1. "Reproductive Rights: NOW affirms that reproductive rights are issues of life and death for women, not mere matters of choice. NOW fully supports access to safe and legal abortion, to effective birth control and emergency contraception, to reproductive health services and education for all women. We oppose attempts to restrict these rights through legislation, regulation or Constitutional amendment." www.winow.org

    ReplyDelete